Until recently, manual traceability has held back large-scale organizations from becoming software innovators. Now, enterprise toolchain integration is enabling heavily-regulated industries to trace all work from ideation to operation to provide them with one source of truth into how their software products are built and maintained. By connecting the toolchain and automating the flow of data between teams in real-time, you can systematically build out your end-to-end traceability across your software delivery value streams. The key is to start small and score some quick wins, before expanding until the whole end-to-end workflow is visible, dramatically reducing time and effort.
This guide provides the steps to build end-to-end traceability, covering:
- What is traceability in software delivery?
- Who should own this effort?
- Considerations before you begin
- How to actually execute the process
- The benefits of automated traceability
- How the process supports different levels across the organization